- A selfie may be okay for Facebook, but not for work. You deserve to look more professional. No one in your professional life needs to see you cut out of old vacation photos.
- You don’t look like you. Yes everyone would agree you were thinner and younger then, but we want to recognize you. Besides, the wisdom and experience of the last 10 years looks good on you.
- Styles have changed a bit. Your hair is more modern and clothes have changed since the 2000s. For men ties are thinner and facial hair is more in vogue. For ladies makeup is more subtle with emphasis on the eyes.
- If you have changed jobs, then chances are your headshot matches the coworkers from your old company.
- Your last portrait was taken late in the day. Men have beards that grow during the day and for some they may look like they need to shave again. Hair and makeup looks fresh in the morning but not so much hours later.
- It might be time to use a new background (that blue background is so like the ‘90s!). Also consider outdoor or environmental portraits for a different look.
- Would it kill you to smile? Well if you were in the Army or the Marines you are off the hook, but for everyone else: “A smile will increase your face value!”
- In your last portrait there was a zit on your nose. These are modern times. We can clean up any blemishes and enhance your look with modern technology.
- You look a bit plain. Perhaps the photographer showed up on a day you weren’t prepared. Dress it up a bit with your best outfit. The right accessories and a fresh haircut will help you look sharp.
- Can’t see your eyes. Look directly into the camera and push your glasses up. Viewers want to get to know you, “the eyes are the window to your soul”.
10 Reasons to update your headshot
You want to make the best first impression to promote your business. A great headshot can help you build your personal brand and presents you in the best light, pun intended! It may feel like a chore to get a new set of headshots, but if you value your image, it may be time for an update. Here’s why you should consider a fresh set of professional images:
8/17/2018 10:18:01 am
My husband was hesitant about taking updated professional head shots. It's a great point that he should have a head shot that matches the other people at his company. Since he's just started there, I think a matching head shot would be a great start to him assimilating himself there.
11/13/2018 01:22:04 pm
I like how you said that we should consider updating our head shot because the style has changed. It makes sense that hair, makeup, and clothes go out of style. I have a head shot from seven years ago, so I think that getting a new head shot would be a great way of updating my resume!
5/30/2019 01:51:50 pm
It was nice to read the reasons why we need to update our headshot. I'll look into finding a photographer to help me with this. I want to get this taken care of before applying to jobs.
7/2/2020 08:22:57 am
I like what you said about updating your headshot if you look different than you used to. My sister wants to make sure that her headshot looks nice before she starts looking for a new job soon. I'll share this information with her so that she can look into her options for photographers who can help her with this.
3/18/2022 12:21:23 am
It made a point when you wrote that you should look more professional when applying for work. I think I should opt for headshot photography since I am planning to get back to the workforce. I will now book an appointment with a well-known photographer in our area to achieve a pleasing outcome.
11/9/2022 10:58:32 pm
I appreciate you mentioning that if you change employment, there's a good chance your headshot resembles that of your former coworkers. Mom changed jobs. I'll advise her to purchase a professional headshot for her work.
Leave a Reply.
I'm often asked if I miss shooting with film. In a word... No!
My Epic sister-in-laws blog